Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow Win2k backup with lots of files

2006-06-07 10:39:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow Win2k backup with lots of files
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:38:32 +0200
What you can do is just creating multiple instance of the same client
and play with saveset list, schedule and directives.

For sample : assuming your super big E:\ drive,

create one client with
        saveset E:\DIR1
               E:\DIR2
        schedule F 1 1 1 1 1 1

create one client with
        saveset E:\DIR3
               E:\DIR4
        schedule 1 1 1 1 1 1 F

create one client with
        saveset E:\
       directive : +Skip E:\DIR1, E:\DIR2, E:\DIR3, E:\DIR4
        schedule 1 1 1 F 1 1

Play with your group membership for starting time.

All dirs not backuped by the 2 first client settings
will be backuped by the third one (No unprotected files)
Time to time, you may have to adapt the saveset lists and
directive.

You can also load balance your fulls (and differential) for
faster recover without relying on old-full.

Do also not use incrementals as it will recover from all tapes
since full till recover time. (longer recover)

Adapt also by adding/removing/grouping entries in saveset lists
and adapting client parallelism to be more aggressive on the
storage volume and take backup at the same time for data that
may require to stay in sync.

I am not sure disk backup to be the solution in this case,
because the entire tree structure will have to be walked thru.
Splitting volume by directories may be the solution.

Another one is to perl-script a job that looks at a volume (argument)
and the split on each dir from volume root folder  and call save cmds
but it will be more difficult to play with levels (save cmd requires
nsavetime
of last full to rely to when processing leveled backups).

HTH

TH

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******   1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****   100/102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 ******      p      ******   BELGIUM
 *********       *********   Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
                             Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                             Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
     I  N  V  E  N  T        Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com
                             Internet  : http://www.hp.com/