Networker

Re: [Networker] Most Popular Backup Tapes

2006-05-24 15:36:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Most Popular Backup Tapes
From: Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT <Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:41:45 -0400
> On Behalf Of E Gold
>
> I am building a new backup server with all new hardware.
> Which type of tapes are most popular to use?
>
> I cannot decide to use LTO or DLT, which should I choose?

Popular? I am assuming by your message that English is not your fist
language. If it is not than bravo you have done a good job and we can
make out what you are saying here.

Back-up Media should be based on the backup or archive mission.

How much data are you backing up?

How fast (in time) do you need it backed up?

How long (years) do you need to access the backup data (shelf life)?

How fast do you need to restore the data?

How critical is the data, if you lost it all due to media failure would
they kill the messenger?

Finally what is your budget?

Is the current budget realistic based on your answers to the above
questions...

Decribe your environment and give us an idea what you need to get done.

On the other hand I am probably taking the job of a contractor who could
come out and design a solution for you.

Semper Fidelis et Pratus, /ALE

/Waving Hi Alfred!