Networker

Re: [Networker] General sun HW performance question

2005-01-05 03:36:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] General sun HW performance question
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:35:57 +0100
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Robert Maiello wrote:

RM> The 440 has 2 internal gigabit adapters (ce's).
RM>
RM> You might be hitting a Sun design issue?  To drive one ce to 900mbit/s their
RM> blueprint says one needs several UltraSparcIII CPUs:
RM>
RM> http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0203/817-1657.pdf

Yep, but that's for the ge adapter, and not for the ce one, and for TCP in
general.

RM> See this article for some tuning that is possible;
RM> http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0404/817-6925.pdf
RM>
RM> Solaris 9 was suppose to have very good TCP/IP CPU utilization though?

I read this document, and checked if I had any problems that are mentioned
in this document. I couldn't find any signs of PCI bus congestion or any
signs of other issues that are mentioned in this document.

I think the core essence of my problem is to find out what part of the
system causes such a high load. Is it the NIC or the FC adapter? And if it
is either one, can it be replaced with a better adapter that has a better
driver and/or hardware that creates less load on the system?

Since its a V440 server with 4 CPUs, I can't add more CPU power. But
either way, I think its pathetic if you require more CPU power than that
just to drive a gig or two of I/O.

//Oscar