Networker

Re: [Networker] General sun HW performance question

2005-01-03 16:46:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] General sun HW performance question
From: Oscar Olsson <spam1 AT QBRANCH DOT SE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 22:46:03 +0100
On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Joel Fisher wrote:

JF> Do you happen to use cisco switches?  If so do you know what they are
JF> set to, and have you made sure your getting connections through both
JF> sides of the trunk?  I'm in the middle of configuring a V880 with
JF> trunked NICs, but can't get data down both paths.

Yup. I MRTG graph both physical ports, and both inbound and outbound
traffic seems to flow over both interfaces. Have you configured the sun
trunking software correctly?

This is how my config looks:

On the cisco switch (relevant parts):

interface Port-channel2
 description Port-channel to britt.qbranch.se
 no ip address
 no logging event link-status
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 4
 switchport mode access

interface GigabitEthernet3/4
 description Interface 1 of 2 for port channel 2 to britt.qbranch.se
 no ip address
 no logging event link-status
 flowcontrol receive desired
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 4
 switchport mode access
 no cdp enable
 channel-group 2 mode on
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/5
 description Interface 2 of 2 for port channel 2 to britt.qbranch.se
 no ip address
 no logging event link-status
 flowcontrol receive desired
 switchport
 switchport access vlan 4
 switchport mode access
 no cdp enable
 channel-group 2 mode on
!

The cisco switch defaults to ip-source-dest address hashing for path
selection, so that's why it isn't mentioned above. Its a catalyst 6509
with SUP-1A running native IOS. Note that the port must be in mode "on"
for port channels. Suns software does not support auto negotiation of port
channels.

On the backup server, it looks like this:

In /etc/opt/SUNWconn/trunking/bin/nettr.sh:

# Add Sun Trunking Configuration entries below.
nettr -setup 0 device=ce members=0,1 policy=3

Then configure ce0 just as you would if it were a single interface. Note
that ce1 must not be plumbed.

Hope this helps. :)

//Oscar

Ps. Does anyone have an answer to MY question as well? :)