Networker

Re: [Networker] Database backup

2004-03-12 13:08:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Database backup
From: Craig Ruefenacht <craig.ruefenacht AT US.USANA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 11:08:00 -0700
Hi,

As per my posts a few days ago, we backup an Oracle database while its
on-line.  We put it into hotbackup mode, perform a backup to tape, and
then take the database out of hotbackup mode.

It was my understanding that this type of backup would be recoverable
using archive logs.  Is my understanding not correct?

I've been unable to test a recover because we don't have the resources
to do so (disk space).  But I've been concerned about this very issue
for a while and have been trying to muster the resources to try a
recovery.

We have another Oracle database that we backup by putting it in
hotbackup mode, then syncing BCV volumes, splitting the volumes, and
then taking the database out of hotbackup mode (the disks are on a EMC
Symmetrix).  This method works well - we bring up the database on the
mirrored BCV volumes all the time.  Of course this is slightly different
than going to tape, because on the BCV volumes all the files are a
snapshot from the same instance in time, while a tape backup isn't a
snapshot at one point in time because file X could have been backed up
at 12:00pm while file Y, on the same filesystem, could have been backed
up at 12:20pm, and so forth.