Networker

Re: [Networker] Database backup

2004-03-15 06:56:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Database backup
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 06:57:04 -0500
I agree with Dave. It's probably not a good idea to delete your archived
redo logs after they've been backed up only once.

A better strategy might be to do a backup, then compress the redo logs that
were backed up successfully. The next time space falls below your
threshhold, do another backup then delete the compressed logs and compress
the uncompressed ones. That way you assure each file is backed up twice,
once uncompressed and again compressed.

For another level of safety, after each backup determine the tape(s) to
which the log files were written and either withdraw them from the jukebox
or mark them readonly. That way you force each backup to go to a different
physical tape, and avoid the tape failure problem that Dave pointed out.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.