Networker

Re: [Networker] free Resources for Networker?

2004-03-09 10:54:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] free Resources for Networker?
From: Wolfgang Lonien <wolfgang.lonien AT FRESENIUS-MCM DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:54:00 +0100

Cool :-)

> I myself run Networker 7.0 on Solaris , so my windows skills
> are not top-notch

Hmmm - we had a Solaris machine until recently; now everything here
(except my Debian Sniffers and Workstation) is on Windows.

> what version are you running 7.0 7.1 ?

7.1

> How many tapedrives and or robots do you have,

1 Autoloader with 1 Drive and 8 Tapes, 100/200GB un/compressed each

> How much data are we talking about roughly ?

Hmmm - some 50GB for a full backup of the most important data (which
used to be CVS on Solaris and is now Synergy on Windows). Maybe another
50GB for the rest (Exchange- and SQL-servers)

> ====
>
> lets start
>
> Full every week rest incremental:
>       start with using Schedule "Full every Friday", create
> others later if needed

ok; so far I had this running...

> Forget about cloning for now until all regular backups work
> OK, cloning is
> very diffucult to do automatic and changes every time with
> new versions as it
> never works as advertized, I exclusively clone with scripts.

ok...

> You do not need different pools for incremental and full for now.
> stay with one pool for backups and one for cloning
>
> use Default for backups to start with
> and use the existing clone pool for testing the cloning.
>
> Remember the data is from the client and goes to a pool
> tapes are in a pool
>
> backup:
> ( data from a client )  ---pool-->  ( collection of tapes
> belongs to pool )
>
> later cloning  will go like
>       all recent full backups from pool: Default
>       must be cloned to pool: Clonepool
>
> It is possible to separate full and non-full at the pool
> level then cloning
> will go like:
>       all recent backups from pool: FULL_POOL
>       must be cloned to pool:FULL_CLONE
>       (this could be done automatically by Networker
>         (but usually is not reliable, in my experience anyway ,
>         and look at the recent mails about cloning under 7.1.1))
>
> So far for now,

ok;

at the moment I tried to save something else than the default save set
'All' - but no matter what I try there (like D:\ (we are talking Windows
here)), it doesn't work. 'All' went like a breeze, but that would be too
much data...

ok until tomorrow - and thank to all of you for your help!

Greetings from Bremen, Germany,
wjl aka Wolfgang Lonien