Networker

Re: [Networker] free Resources for Networker?

2004-03-09 10:29:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] free Resources for Networker?
From: Gordon Ewasiuk <gewasiuk AT IRIDES DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:48:06 -0500
On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Wolfgang Lonien wrote:

> my employer has bought Legato Networker for Windows to back up several
> Win2k/Exchange/SQL servers, and I have to deal with it.

3 months from now, you will thank your employer.  :)

> There seems to be no (cost-free) support tho. After looking at the
> Legato websites and backupcentral, I'm still confused, as there is no
> real 'concept' or a How-To, and the 3000+ pages of manulas don't help a
> newbie like me :-(

http://www.backupcentral.com

and the legato faq:

http://www.backupcentral.com/cgi-bin/networker-fom?_recurse=1&file=8

> At the moment I feel like someone who has to translate between 2
> languages he both doesn't know (the concepts my bosses have in mind vs.
> the manuals)...

Good luck on your quest.  Legato is really worth the extra effort.  It
will do everything you require and more.  And, wow, is it fast.  Because
of Networker, my employer was forced to rollout Gigabit Ethernet on our
backnet network.  Networker absolutely killed Fast Ethernet.  It really,
REALLY is worth the extra effort.

Feel free to drop me a line offlist if you have questions.  I'm not an
expert, yet...but I'm working on it.

Regards,

-gordon

Gordon Ewasiuk
Systems Engineer, Mids, 2000-0400hrs EST
Irides, LLC.