Networker

Re: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Need advice on mminfo command]

2003-11-26 12:20:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Need advice on mminfo command]
From: Davina Treiber <Treiber AT HOTPOP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:20:22 +0000
George Sinclair wrote:

The thing about these tapes is that they are write protected and taken
off site so we would always have the tape, but your suggestion is a very
interesting idea. If I use this nsrmm command to do this, do I have to
give it a specific retention time, i.e. some time long in the future, or
can I pass it a value that will make it never become recyclable? If I
have to give it an actual date then I guess at some point in the future,
we'd run it again and change the date again, ad infinitum to always keep
it recoverable?

You can't give it the special "forever" value, since that implies an
archive save set which requires an extra license. I think the latest
value you can currently use would be year 2037. So if you're still doing
the same job then  :-) and if you can remember, you can run the script
again, or maybe set up an at job to run in early 2037. Of course your
server will still be around then...

Personally I expect NetWorker will be just a distant memory for me by
then, I'll be well into retirement and lucky if I can remember my own name.

What's the best way to implement this? Should I just write a script to
gather all the desired savesets and then have it loop through the nsrmm
command on each one to change the retention time?

Sounds about right. The hardest bit is probably writing a suitable query
to identify all the right save sets.

Also, is all of this independent of the fact that indexing is turned
off? I assume indexing has nothing to do with this.

The value you will be changing is in the media database, so nothing to
do with the indices.

Good luck...