Networker

Re: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Need advice on mminfo command]

2003-11-24 20:02:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] [Fwd: Re: [Networker] Need advice on mminfo command]
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:02:57 -0800
> Thanks, Darren. To be more specific, I don't care how long ago the
> saveset was backed up. What I want to know is that if there is an entry
> in the database for it, then I need to know if it's complete, not
> suspect and either recoverable or recyclable. It's okay if it's
> recylable as long as it's recylable because it's beyond the retention
> policy (one year) and not for some other reason. If a saveset is
> recylable, how do you know that is was not something other than time
> that made it that way? Can NetWorker mark a saveset as recycable for
> some other reason and if so, is there some attributes I can add to check
> for that?

I don't know any way that a saveset becomes recyclable other than
passing the retention date (which may be modified after the fact), or by
a manual process.

Further, I don't think there's anything that says what caused it to
become recyclable.

> I guess I need to put some kind of 'or' condition on the command to
> check for either recoverable or ssrecycle, but I don't see any way to do
> that, so I'm thinking I would need to run the command first as:

Well if you don't care if it's recyclable, then don't bother putting
either one on the query line.

> mminfo -s server -q
> 'name=path,client=client,recoverable,!ssrecycle,!incomplete,!suspect' -r
> 'client,ssid,savetime,name'
>
> and if it returns nothing then run it again as:
>
> mminfo -s server -q 'name=path,client=client,ssrecycle,!recoverable,
> !incomplete,!suspect' -r 'client,ssid,savetime,name'

I'd try... -q 'name=path,client=client,!incomplet,!suspect'

> to be sure it's not still in there as recyclable and if this returns
> something then check to see that it's older than one year? If not then
> back up.

I guess I don't understand why you care if one of them is over a year
old but not the other.  Whether a 'recyclable' saveset is something you
would want to worry about depends on how you deal with tapes, but I'd
probably just look for recoverable (not recyclable) and backup if I
didn't find it.

That way when the recyclable saveset is finally recycled, I've already
made my new copy and don't have to wait for it.

> Looks like the mminfo command also supports the clflags showing aborted,
> incomplete and suspect for clones savesets. Guess I can use that for
> that.

Note that every copy is a clone.  It's just that if you cloned a
saveset, you'll have two different copies.  Some imagine that 'clflags'
only reports on clone copies.

You can view the flags on both the original and any subsequent copies.
Make sure you can deal with both fixed and variable width fields.  You
have to do 'clflags' as a fixed width field since it may have no output.

Most of the other fields are easier to parse as variable-width.

Unix System Administrator                    Taos - The SysAdmin Company