Networker

Re: [Networker] Automatically marking tape full after backup

2003-01-30 09:55:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Automatically marking tape full after backup
From: Jim McAlarney <JMcAlarney AT HUBER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:54:28 -0500
There is no Networker setting for that.  You'll need to run a script
using cron to mark the tapes.

Something that does:

mminfo -rvolume,pool | awk '/3day/ {system("nsrjb -o full "$1)}'

will mark all of the tapes in the 3day pool that have been written to
in the last 24 hours full.  It will probably take a little more than
that, but that's the basics.

>Consider the following scenario.
>
>I have a savestream/filesytem that I want to keep for only 3 days
because the data is useless after
>that.  The data is around 20G which is smaller than my DLT7000 tapes
and considerably smaller
>depending on compression rate.  I have create a pool of tapes and a
schedule for 3 days.  I have
>also set the retention time and browse policy to 3 days for this
client's particular filesystem.

>My problem is this.  For demonstration sake, lets say I get hardly any
compression and I can store
>2 nights backups on each tape (if I get more the following situation
just gets worse).  The first
>tape would not recycle after 3 days because it contains the day after
saveset.  So is there any way
>to mark the last tape used (in case it goes multiple tapes)
automatically full so that the next
>nights backup would start on a new/recycled tape?
>
>Regards,
>
>Christopher T. Beers - UNIX Systems Engineer
>Syracuse University - Computing and Media Services
>250 Machinery Hall      Syracuse, NY 13244
>(315) 443-4103 Office   (315) 443-1621 Fax

---
Jim McAlarney                                         Huber Engineered
Materials
phone:  404-949-5505                              4401 Northside
Parkway
fax:       404-949-1305                              Suite 600
jmcalarney AT huber DOT com                            Atlanta, GA  30327