Networker

[Networker] Automatically marking tape full after backup

2003-01-29 19:03:57
Subject: [Networker] Automatically marking tape full after backup
From: "Christopher T. Beers" <ctbeers AT COE.SYR DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:03:50 -0500
Consider the following scenario.

I have a savestream/filesytem that I want to keep for only 3 days because the
data is useless after
that.  The data is around 20G which is smaller than my DLT7000 tapes and
considerably smaller
depending on compression rate.  I have create a pool of tapes and a schedule
for 3 days.  I have
also set the retention time and browse policy to 3 days for this client's
particular filesystem.

My problem is this.  For demonstration sake, lets say I get hardly any
compression and I can store
2 nights backups on each tape (if I get more the following situation just gets
worse).  The first
tape would not recycle after 3 days because it contains the day after saveset.
So is there any way
to mark the last tape used (in case it goes multiple tapes) automatically full
so that the next
nights backup would start on a new/recycled tape?

Regards,

Christopher T. Beers - UNIX Systems Engineer
Syracuse University - Computing and Media Services
250 Machinery Hall      Syracuse, NY 13244
(315) 443-4103 Office   (315) 443-1621 Fax