Networker

Re: [Networker] W2K and large file (> 9GB) corruption

2002-09-16 11:40:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] W2K and large file (> 9GB) corruption
From: "Graham, Sean" <Sean.Graham AT ENRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 10:39:58 -0500
Doug,

I would strongly recommend using the NetWorker Module for SAP R/3 on Oracle. It
ensures database integrity and high-availability. It also protects data at both
the database and transaction log levels. Your command invokes save, which does
not have any hooks into the database environment. You are also not taking
advantage of the online backup processes, which ensures business (application)
continuity. This solution also provides you with 2 different methods of backing
up the data (depending on which you are more comfortable with).

The NWM for SAP uses a utility called brbackup, which passes LGTO and
application environment relevant information to the SAP tools utility
(backint). You can also direct SAP to use Oracle's RMAN (which a lot of dba's
are already used to). Either way, the data can be backed up while the
application is live, and you shouldn't have to worry about corruption issues.
We are using the NM for SAP here, and have ran into extremely long recover
times, but worked with LGTO to resolve those, and we are now happy with the
products performance.

Btw, what is the -O switch do with the save command? I checked the MAN PAGE and
don't see it listed. I thought it was a savegrp switch.

HTH,

-Sean