Networker

Re: [Networker] SLOW LTO-drives

2002-09-13 14:37:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] SLOW LTO-drives
From: "Shelley L. Shostak" <sls AT QSTECH DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:37:16 -0700
On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Christian Weihs wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Networker] SLOW LTO-drives
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know about OnTap 6.2R2 but with earlier versions the maximum
> bandwith per stream through NDMP was about 12MB/s.
> Had this problem once. To overcome this limit I simply split the
> filers savesets (there were two of them) into two client resources and
> put those into a dedicated NSR group. Each stream now had roughly 12MB/s
> adding up to 24MB/s.
>
> Strange but thats how it worked.
>
> christian

Christian,

You can only write a single stream to a tape drive with NDMP so you can not
ever achieve 25MB/s on a single drive.  This is an NDMP issue.  Until NDMP
supports multiplexing streams to a single drive.  So your solution does not
solve the original problem of increasing the write rate.

Shelley