Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up to disk

2002-08-15 09:10:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up to disk
From: Kenneth Larsen <Kenneth.Larsen AT STERIA DOT DK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:00:03 +0200
Eh, what problems with DLT7000 under 6.1.1 for NT, I have not tried W2K ? I
run a sever at 6.1.1 and very seldom have any trouble with it, at most a
hanging nsrmmd proccess.

Anyways, I think u should take a look at stageing. I use it here and it
works nicely, just make sure u have enough room on the disk for the whole
backup, and set your watermarks low enough to make room for the save,
Networker can't stage from disk to tape, while a backup to the same disk is
runnnig, as far as I can see.

Currently I run my incrementals to disk, I have disablet index save for my
incremental, and fulls directly to tape.
I then run s seperat index save directly to tape, cause some of my indexs
have grow to a whooping 22GB, the cause is the filesystem being backed
which contains over 8.000.000 small files and directories ( I have
complained but no solution is on the way ).

Med venlig hilsen
Kenneth Larsen
Steria
Tonsbakken 16-18
2740 Skovlunde
kel AT steria DOT dk - 44506261 - 26306261

|---------+------------------------------->
|         |           Charles Walther     |
|         |           <CWalther AT SAROFIM DOT CO|
|         |           M>                  |
|         |           Sent by: Legato     |
|         |           NetWorker discussion|
|         |           <NETWORKER@LISTMAIL.|
|         |           TEMPLE.EDU>         |
|         |                               |
|         |                               |
|         |           15-08-2002 14:17    |
|         |           Please respond to   |
|         |           Legato NetWorker    |
|         |           discussion; Please  |
|         |           respond to Charles  |
|         |           Walther             |
|         |                               |
|---------+------------------------------->

  |       To:       NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
                                        |
  |       cc:
                                 |
  |       Subject:  [Networker] Backing up to disk

Because of all of the problems using DLT7000 under 6.1.1 for NT and W2K, we
are considering backing up to disk.  Our internal policies still require us
to create tapes to send offsite.  In the scenario using disk for backup,
can we backup to disk at night and then somehow backup the disk backups to
tape early in the morning ?  Will Legato capture the same saveset info ?
Can we clone from disk to tape ?

Can someone explain to me how this scenario works for them ?

Charlie