Networker

Re: [Networker] SUMMARY - Incremental Backup Not Working Using ND MP On NetA pp

2002-08-09 15:08:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] SUMMARY - Incremental Backup Not Working Using ND MP On NetA pp
From: "Remsing, Steven (SR)" <SRemsing AT DOW DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTMAIL.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:10:14 -0400
First I apologize for asking a question that was easily answered in the
manual.  Unfortunately I looked in the wrong manual.  The NetWorker 6.0
manual does not contain any information regarding the Application
Information variables needed for NDMP backups on NetApps other than HIST=y.

Looking in the NetWorker 6.1 manual you will find more information.
Including:

DIRECT=y - Set this for direct access restores
UPDATE=y - Set this to update the /etc/dumpdates file on the NetApp

Thanks to everyone who gave me the correct answer (and who kindly didn't
point out that was explained in the manual and shouldn't be asked on the
mailing list):

Glassman, Adam [adam.glassman AT ATTWS DOT COM]
Faidherbe, Thierry [Thierry.Faidherbe AT hp DOT com]
Bokkelkamp Ernst [Ernst.Bokkelkamp AT mch10.sbs DOT de]

Orginal Question (minus the sample output)
Fellow NetWorker Users,

We are running Solstice Backup 6.1.2 Build 340 with the NDMP license to
backup a NetApp Filer running ONTAP 6.2R2.  The full backups are working
fine.  It appears the incremental backups are reverting to full backups
because the /etc/dumpdates file does not exist.  See the messages from a
manual savegrp I ran:

<< output removed to save space >>

I have the following Application Information variables set for my NDMP
client:

HIST=y
DIRECT=y
EXTRACT_ACL=T

I've searched Legato, NetApp and Google without finding answers to these
questions.

1. How can I configure NDMP to update the /etc/dumpdate file on the NetApp?
2. Has anyone out there been able to run incremental backups of a NetApp
system via NDMP?
3. Is there a reference for all the possible Application Information
variables that NetWorker supports for NetApp equipment?

If anyone has incremental backup working and is willing to share the
configuration they used I would greatly appeciate it.

Thank you for your help.  I will summary any replies I receive.

Steve Remsing
The Dow Chemical Company
UNIX System Administrator
1776 Bldg / C-211