Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] With "Ignore FileSet Changes = yes", how long are the changes ignored for? Is the behavior different when using base jobs?

2012-12-30 22:36:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] With "Ignore FileSet Changes = yes", how long are the changes ignored for? Is the behavior different when using base jobs?
From: "Ken Healy (Outgoing mail only, please reply to list)" <kh.noreply AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:34:01 -0600
However, what happens when using a base job? Are the fileset changes ignored until the next base job?
On a slightly different note, what happens when you set "Ignore FileSet Changes = no" when using a base job? Is a new base level backup forced? Or is the base backup ignored and a non-based full backup done instead? Or something else?

I don't know.  Why are you asking?  Is there a problem you encountered?

I haven't encountered a problem but I feel it's important to know the consequences of using this option with base jobs, especially if fileset changes are ignored until the next base level backup, which may not happen for a long time. My backup strategy is to only run base level backups when the data on the client has changed very significantly. Most of the clients are wifi only and unbased full backups take an impractically long time.

Yes, this is something I will test, but since it doesn't appear to be documented anywhere, it would be nice to know the intended behavior for reference and comparison.

Thanks, Ken