Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Quarterly Bacula Status Report

2012-12-18 05:20:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Quarterly Bacula Status Report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Christophe Borivant <cborivant AT devinlec DOT com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:17:29 +0100
Hello Christophe,

On 12/18/2012 10:50 AM, Christophe Borivant wrote:
> Hello Kern,
>
> What covers the windows binaries download for community users fee ?
> Is it for one time download, one year, one release ?
> It is not specified on bacula system pages.
Thanks for the questions.  You bring up some good points.
The fee is basically a one time payment that will
give you access to the binaries for a 6 month download period.  I'll
ensure that this issue is clarified on the web sites in the near
future.

I am not sure what Bacula Systems will do with updates,
but there is still time to decide. At least at the moment, this
is not at all intended to be a subscription service that requires
recurring payments.

I suspect that if a significant new Enterprise version is put out
during your 6 month download period that the binaries will simply
appear in the download area or better yet, we can include the
current version information in my Quarterly Status Report as well
as on the web sites.

After the 6 month download period, if you need any new features
that we implement (e.g. I hope to get to implementing Windows
IPv6 in the next couple of months), you would purchase again.

The idea is not to keep the administration simple, allow you to
have the newest Windows binaries, and to have a very low
price for community users, while at the same time structuring it
so the big/commercial users pay something as well.

Please note that what I mention above is under the reserve that
Bacula Systems approves (of course, I do have a reasonable amount
of say in what Bacula Systems decides, though I am not the key decision
maker).

One thing that I forgot to mention is that if you want to use Bat on the
Windows version, try what is in the release (it is not better than what
was in the last community binaries), and if it doesn't work, please run
a Linux version (Ubuntu 12.04 works well) in a Windows VM.  Getting
Bat to work reliably on Windows is not easy, and Bacula Systems' strategic
direction is on Web interfaces so Bat is pretty low on my priorities.

Thanks for using Bacula :-)

Best regards,
Kern

PS: I removed the copy to the announce list to keep their traffic down.