Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Quarterly Bacula Status Report

2012-12-17 16:06:00
Subject: [Bacula-users] Quarterly Bacula Status Report
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-announce <bacula-announce AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:03:40 +0100
To all Community users and contributors,

Here is the summary of what I wish to discuss with you:

1. Major Microsoft Windows bug
2. The Bacula Systems Enterprise Migration program
3. Bacula version 5.2.12
4. Next Community version
5. Getting Bacula Windows Binaries
6. Season's greetings

1. Major Microsoft Windows bug

Last week Microsoft announced a patch solving a problem which
could lead to silent data corruption when using VSS for backup

  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2748349

This is a problem that affects all backup programs such as
Bacula, which use VSS (Windows snapshots) to obtain a stable copy
of the system to backup.

2. Bacula Systems Enterprise Migration program

Following the big success of the Bacula Systems Enterprise
Migration program, Bacula Systems has decided that this program
will be continued until further notice!  This is a program to
help the Community users migrate to the Bacula Enterprise
version.

You can go to http://www.baculasystems.com and click on the
Selective Migration Plan in the core of the Homepage or go to
www.bacula.org and click on the Selective Migration Plan icon in
the upper right corner of the banner.

3. Bacula version 5.2.12

Since the end of 2011, we have released versions from 5.2.2 to
5.2.12!  A lot of bug fixing was implemented as we went along to
help the Community version improve.  In addition, some new
features appeared in two of the the intermediate versions which
were versions 5.2.6 and version 5.2.10.  You can find these
release on Source Forge at

http://http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacula/?source=directory

Please check the release notes for further information on bug
fixing contents.

4. Next Community version

I had originally planned another community release about this
time, because there are a number of bug fixes in the public git
repository.  However there are also a number of other bug fixes
that we have just recently found as well as back porting from the
Enterprise version that needs to be done, so given the holidays
and my workload, the next release will probably be in early
February 2013.  In the mean time, you may pull the latest code
from the git repository.

5. Getting Bacula Windows Binaries

As you are probably aware, because of the work involved, the
community Windows File daemon binaries are no longer produced by
the Bacula project.  As an an alternative, I proposed to Bacula
Systems to offer their Windows Enterprise binaries as a service to
the Community.  They agreed, and have chosen a price that is
designed to simply cover the costs of producing and distributing
those binaries.  You can now obtain these Bacula Enterprise
Windows binaries from Bacula Systems SA by clicking on the
following link

http://www.baculasystems.com/windows-binaries-for-bacula-community-users.

These binaries allow you to continue using the Bacula community
version, while keeping Bacula well integrated into your Windows
environment.  These binaries contain the Windows File daemons
only.  As was previously the case for the Community binaries, the
Windows Storage daemon and Director are not provided.  Installers
for both 32 and 64 bit binaries is included in the offer.  The
extra Enterprise Windows plugins are in separate packages and are
not part of this offering.  The support for any problems will be
handled through the Community Bugs database.

6. Season's greetings

Finally, I reiterate my sincere thanks to all of you for using
Bacula and for your valuable contributions to the project.

And, as we are approaching the end of year celebrations, I would
like to wish you all a very happy and safe holiday season as well
as a prosperous and peaceful 2013.

Best regards,
Kern