Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD: HEADS UP - port changes

2012-12-17 15:43:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] FreeBSD: HEADS UP - port changes
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT serverock DOT ee>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:40:10 +0200
On 2012-12-17 17:47, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 2012-12-16 17:25, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On Oct 27, 2012, at 3:04 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
>>
>>> We are going to be making some major changes to the FreeBSD port of
>>> Bacula.
>>> Before we do this, I'm looking for volunteers to test out the
>>> changes.
>>>
>>> This is a short list of the changes we plan to make:
>>>
>>> - bacula-server will require bacula-client.  you cannot install
>>> bacula-server without bacula-client
>>> - bacula-client and bacula-server will no longer install docs
>>> - all docs are installed only by bacula-docs
>>> - new port added: bacula-client-static (statically linked; so good
>>> for rescue CDs etc)
>>>
>>> Why is bacula-client now required by bacula-server?  A long
>>> standing
>>> problem between the two
>>> ports was they each installed the same shared libraries.  We solved
>>> this situation by making only bacula-client
>>> install the shared libraries.  This is why bacula-server requires
>>> bacula-client.
>>>
>>> This change to the shared libraries will avoid the continually
>>> reported problems when upgrading
>>> Bacula on FreeBSD and not first deleting both bacula-client and
>>> bacula-server.
>>>
>>> Watch this thread, and I will post a URL from which you can
>>> download
>>> the upgraded ports
>>> and test them.  We'll give you about a week to report any problems.
>>>
>>> Also, this is the place to discuss any issues with the above
>>> strategies.  :)
>>
>> This was just committed to the FreeBSD ports tree.
>>

>> http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=201212161632.qBGGWjZt011350
>> AT svn.freebsd DOT org
>>
>> I'm about to test the results in a sandbox… if my portsnap update
>> will ever finish...
>
> The portsnap finally finished.  Bacula seems to be running fine.
>
> I wish to emphasize that we've only changed the packaging, not the
> code.  :)
>
> See above.
>
> As you upgrade, please reply here and let us know how it went.

I tested it by:
   1) pkg_delete bacula\*
   2) cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server && make install clean
   3) portupgrade -f bacula-client\*
   4) portupgrade -f bacula-server\*
   5) /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bacula-fd restart
   6) /usr/local/etc/rc.d/bacula-sd restart

No errors and everything works fine :)

Thank you for this!

--
Silver