BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] can run su backuppc user

2012-12-12 17:57:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] can run su backuppc user
From: Koen Vermeer <koen AT vermeer DOT tv>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:37:17 +0100
On 2012-12-11 14:48, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On a side note, system accounts shouldn't have shell access for
> security reasons, when I want to login as backuppc I have to use, "su
> -s /bin/bash backuppc" or something like that.

I've been trying to figure out a way to prevent having to allow shell
access for backuppc on the clients it needs to backup through ssh/rsync.
I consider the backuppc account on the clients to be a system account,
but at the same time, it seems that if I want to provide access through
ssh, I need to have a shell. Am I correct, or is there some other way?

Best,
Koen