BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)

2012-12-05 11:49:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 10:47:49 -0600
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
wrote:

> Wow.  25 *million* files saved in home directories?  That kind of defeats the
> purpose of shared data!  I thought my users were bad about that...  :)

Probably mostly browser-cache files that don't need to be backed up...
 Or checked-out workspaces from the same VCS.   Subversion is
particularly bad about space/file usage since it makes 2 copies of
everything in a checkout and you probably do want to back up
uncommitted local changes.   If disks weren't cheap it might be worth
looking at zfs or btrfs with block dedup - but you still have to back
it up.