BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)

2012-12-05 09:19:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 09:12:44 -0500
Markus <universe AT truemetal DOT org> wrote on 11/19/2012 04:03:03 PM:

> For fun, here's the output of find / | wc -l:
>
> 24478753
>
> real 490m35.602s
> user 0m21.013s
> sys  1m23.305s
>
> 25 million files! OMG. find took 8 hours to complete. Nice, hm? :-)

Wow.  If a simple "find" took 8 hours to complete, rsync's gonna take even longer to create the file list!  :)

> I started another full backup on Friday 21:00 CET and it's still
> running, but it started to transfer files after a day or so, finally!

Good for you!

> Another box of the same customer has 2.5 files and took 29 hours for the
> first full backup. That means the 25 million box' full backup should be
> done within 12 days. :-)   But if I understand correctly all future full
> backups will be faster. No idea what BackupPC will do after these 12
> days, start directly with another full backup? Well, we will see...

In one case for me, my first full backup took 9000 minutes (almost a full week).  Subsequent fulls still took over 4000 minutes, so the speedup for future fulls was only double that of the first full.  (I ended up optimizing things a bit more and getting it down to about 3000 minutes, which I'm currently living wth.)

> a) Different profiles with aliases
> b) Different shares

I am looking at doing the same here, just to break up the fulls so they can run on different days.  (Thanks, Les!)

> c) tar

Personally, I find that tar takes no real less time than rsync for fulls.

> Unforunately almost all of the files are located in /home in thousands
> of subdirectories, so I can't just say "backup /home or /home/1,
> /home/2, /home/3 in another profile", but if tar won't work I guess I
> will have to dig deeper into the subdirectories for profiles/shares
> splitting.

Wow.  25 *million* files saved in home directories?  That kind of defeats the purpose of shared data!  I thought my users were bad about that...  :)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com