BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"

2010-05-11 13:50:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"
From: Josh Malone <jmalone AT nrao DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:48:19 -0400
On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:35:27 -0500, Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net> wrote:

> [backuppc@backuppc tmp]$ /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root TargetServer
> /usr/bin/rsync --version
> rsync  version 3.0.7  protocol version 30
> Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
> Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
> Capabilities:
>      64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
>      socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
>      append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, no symtimes
>
> rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
> General Public Licence for details.
>
> I just checked the authorized_keys file, nothing out of the ordinary.
> Just the RSA key and comment. I'm sure that the problem is with the
> Target server's paranoia - I just can't *find* it.

Okay - the it's got to be something with the weird SSH port. Let's see if
you can make rsync do something on the target box. Try rsyncing from the
directory you want to back up into /tmp/test/ or something. This might tell
us if it's a messed up rsync or something on the remote box.

If that works then try removing the port option on your rsync command. It
really should ne needed as rsync just sends the data stream over stdout...
I think.

-Josh

       Joshua Malone       Systems Administrator
     (jmalone AT nrao DOT edu)    NRAO Charlottesville
        434-296-0263         www.cv.nrao.edu
        434-249-5699 (mobile)
BOFH excuse #360:

Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.