BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"

2010-05-11 14:55:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The dread "Unable to read 4 bytes" / "Read EOF: Connection reset by peer"
From: Nick Bright <oz AT valnet DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 13:54:02 -0500
On 5/11/2010 12:48 PM, Josh Malone wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:35:27 -0500, Nick Bright<oz AT valnet DOT net>  wrote:
>
>> [backuppc@backuppc tmp]$ /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root TargetServer
>> /usr/bin/rsync --version
>> rsync  version 3.0.7  protocol version 30
>> Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
>> Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
>> Capabilities:
>>       64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
>>       socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
>>       append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, no symtimes
>>
>> rsync comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  This is free software, and you
>> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.  See the GNU
>> General Public Licence for details.
>>
>> I just checked the authorized_keys file, nothing out of the ordinary.
>> Just the RSA key and comment. I'm sure that the problem is with the
>> Target server's paranoia - I just can't *find* it.
>>
> Okay - the it's got to be something with the weird SSH port. Let's see if
> you can make rsync do something on the target box. Try rsyncing from the
> directory you want to back up into /tmp/test/ or something. This might tell
> us if it's a messed up rsync or something on the remote box.
>
> If that works then try removing the port option on your rsync command. It
> really should ne needed as rsync just sends the data stream over stdout...
> I think.
>
> -Josh

That's a good point. I really thought I was specifying that it should be
using the alternative SSH port.

This is the root of the problem, I took the liberty of changing the SSHD
port back to 22 and it's backing up.

Search hits take note: this is why you have to be careful stripping
"sensitive" information out of debugging posts!

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply!

  - Nick