ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] ASR BMR W2008

2012-05-31 08:07:46
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] ASR BMR W2008
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 08:00:30 -0400
Hello Francisco,

"Best practice" for creating and using a WinPE-based image is described
here:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/x/EwgFD

this information supersedes the formal Windows Backup-Archive Client
manual.

For Windows 2008 (and Windows 2008 R2, Vista, or 7), you need to create
only one image per processor architecture in your environment. This is
unlike ASR for Windows 2003, where you needed to create media for each
Windows 2003 (or XP) system.

There is no tightly-coupled dependency between the WinPE image and the
system that needs recovery. So assuming that you have a good system state
backup of a system, you can create the WinPE boot media at any time,
independent of the system that needs recovery. The TSM version on the WinPE
CD should be at the same or higher level as the version of TSM used to back
up the system that needs recovery. For example, if you are recovering a
system that was backed up with the 6.3 client, you cannot use a WinPE image
that contains the 6.2 client. However, it is strongly recommended that you
regularly test recovery, rather than wait for a true emergency to build and
test the recovery media.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2012-05-31
05:30:24: