ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: TSM 6.3 NAS Filer backup stg issues

2012-04-26 09:21:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: TSM 6.3 NAS Filer backup stg issues
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:19:32 -0500
A "backup stg" of a NetApp Dump format storage pool (required for a
NetApp/N-series direct to tape NDMP backup) hands off the actual copy
to the filer, which performs an NDMP copy operation from one drive to
another.  TSM doesn't touch the data in this case.

I should say "a" filer, since TSM seems to pick an arbitrary filer
that has access to the drives/tape volumes, and asks that filer to do
the copy -- even if it's not that filer's data.

Steve, does IBM have N-series software support as well as hardware
support?  Maybe they would be more helpful, since NDMP is really a
software operation.  (Or does IBM not make a distinction for N-series?
I'm not sure how NetApp does it, since a different group manages our
NetApps even though I "get to" back them up to TSM.)

=Dave

--
Hello World.                                David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault                                      ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa