ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] TSM 6.3 NAS Filer backup stg issues

2012-04-25 19:17:18
Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.3 NAS Filer backup stg issues
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:11:15 +1000
Hi All

I've got a problem with running backup stg of nas filer NDMP backups.

I have a TSM 6.3.1 server on RHEL 5.7 X86_64, an N-Series filer at Data
On-Tap 8.1RC2 and A shared TS3310 library with LTO5 drives. Actually I
have two setups exactly the same in different cities, except one has
more data and 3 drives and the other has less data and two drives.

NDMP backups are configured to write directly to tape and seem to work
fine.  The backup completes cleanly if slowly, and the limited restores
I have done worked once I went to 6.3.1.

But, I want an offsite copy, and so run backup stg against the NAS
primary tape pool.  This is consistently failing - but only on certain
filer volumes. On the first filer with the problem it seems to copy
correctly on volumes that are cifs shared, but fail on volumes that  are
used by FC,  at least I thought that was the difference.  On the second
filer there are no FC volumes, but somehow those copies are failing too.

TSM support points at the filer people because the error is a bad return
code from an operation that is handed off to the filer.  I have been
working with N-series hardware support on this for a month and only now
realize that they have co concept of what the problem is..... they
thought backup stg produced an NDMP backup.

Has any one else seen this problem?  Does anyone on the list know how to
get traction on these sorts of issues from Nseries hardware support ?

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin