ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] DataDomain and dedup per node

2012-04-19 10:08:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] DataDomain and dedup per node
From: "Schneider, Jim" <jschneider AT USSCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:04:20 -0500
The most serious problem we have encountered is the effect of
reclamation on backup throughput.  We have a 1 GB backup network that is
used for servers to write directly to the Data Domain, bypassing TSM.
When only one client is writing directly to the DD we see backup network
utilization around 85%.  When reclamation is running the client gets 5%
backup network utilization.  I've cancelled reclamation and watched the
client throughput increase, then drop again when autoreclamation
restarts.  We now only run reclamation when the client's 1 TB daily
backup is complete (a 4- to 5-hour process).

Collocation will increase the number of files used to store data and to
be reclaimed.  If you can run reclamation when no other processing is
running there should be no impact, but watch your network stats for
verification.

Side Comment:  We run NDMP backups across fiber to a VTL on the Data
domain.  There is no effect on backup network utilization when the NDMP
backups are running.  I'm still puzzled by this.  Reclamation seems to
use enough DD resources to slow backup network data ingestion but NDMP
backups running with a higher throughput don't use enough DD processing
power to slow (or even effect) a direct write by a client over Ethernet.

Jim Schneider