ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Comment about the TSM gui from a IBM conference

2011-09-08 01:40:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Comment about the TSM gui from a IBM conference
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 00:34:30 -0500
I've been ranting about that here for a while now. Yes, it sucks! And
removing the dsmmfc native GUI client in 6.2 just added insult to
injury. I did a benchmark of the Windows v6.1 java client versus the
v6.1 native dsmmfc client on the same computer, and the java client took
10 times longer to initialize. TEN TIMES. It's so slow that when you ask
it to do something, you find yourself frequently clicking again because
nothing happened, but that sometimes causes malfunctions. I should
submit a performance APAR against it. It's so bad that we are still
distributing the v5.5 client to all our Windows users, despite the other
improvements in 6.2 such as incremental system state backup.

Until this improved and hopefully fast new client is developed with all
that new technology, please update and return the dsmmfc client to
distributions in v6.3, and make it the default. It was fast; THAT was
the product that raised the bar for performance expectations for TSM
client programs - TSM v5.5 dsmmfc, not XIV.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====