ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Recovery log is pinning since upgrade to 5.5.5.0 code

2011-04-18 09:21:01
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Recovery log is pinning since upgrade to 5.5.5.0 code
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:04:33 -0400
Been there - read the book - saw the movie....etc.

We went through the same problem plus other issues with the log
stair-stepping  (more transactions that it could handle - things slowing
down until it could catch up - flooded with transactions again -
rinse-lather-repeat)  generating false log-full conditions all night long.

Spent numerous hours/days working with IBM who swore that there weren't
any changes that would effect this process and that my server was simply
overloaded.  I argued that I hadn't added any new nodes or processes to
the server having the problem.  They said we simply hit the "saturation
wall" and the only answer was to redistribute/reduce the workload.

I too setup cron jobs to monitor the "transaction log % full values" and
issues "show logpinned" commands and send me emails (wore out the
batteries in my BB).  Yes there were some Oracle backups causing some of
the problems (eventhough they hadn't changed in years) and I did get the
Oracle folks to split the backup transactions into chunks (this is in the
book) but the problems still persisted until I forced folks off this
server to another TSM server.  We also worked hard at redistributing the
scheduled backups to smooth out the peaks.  Eventually the problems
stopped.

Yes, what IBM told be to do "fixed" the problem but considering the
workload mix had not changed, I still argued that since the only change
was the TSM server level, there must be a problem in the server update.

I am somewhat heartened to see other folks experiencing the same issues I
went through and confirming that I was not going crazy.

Zoltan Forray
TSM Software & Hardware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services