ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] altering dsm.sys right before dsmc

2011-03-01 12:28:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] altering dsm.sys right before dsmc
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:26:39 -0500
Hi Mario,

Some comments:

* Why exactly are you doing this? Why not let incremental backup just back
up new files in the /backup/rman/full/ directory structure? Do you
anticipate unwieldy amounts of data? As someone else pointed out, you will
eventually have a mountain of virtualmountpoint statements in your dsm.sys
file. So best to understand first if this is really what is needed to get
the job done.

That having been said...

* Note that DOMAIN is "additive", meaning that it is added to whatever is
already in your client option files and server-side client option set.

* You cannot use wildcards in DOMAIN.

* If you add a virtualmountpoint option for the directory then it should be
sufficient do just do:

   dsmc incremental /backup/rman/full/xxxxx >> /backup/tsmlogs/$ARCHLOG

where xxxxx is the "$DATA" date. And you get valid last backup start and
end dates on your file spaces, whereas you do not when doing a wildcarded
backup.

Best regards,

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Tivoli Storage Manager Client Product Development
Level 3 Team Lead
Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Hartford/IBM@IBMUS

http://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/Overview/Software/Tivoli/Tivoli_Storage_Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu> wrote on 2011-03-01
10:45:37:

> From: Mario Behring <mariobehring AT YAHOO DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
> Date: 2011-03-01 10:48
> Subject: altering dsm.sys right before dsmc
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I have to configure a virtualmountpoint option before some backups. The
> directory name, part of it, is formed by a date...and I will have to
> append this
> line in the dsm.sys file everytime I perform this particular backup.
>
> Here is the script...the TSM Clent is Red Hat...
>
> export ARCHLOG=`date +%d%m%y_backuptape.log`
> export DATA=`date --date='1 day ago' +%d%m%y2200`
>
> echo virtualm=/backup/rman/full/$DATA
>> /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsm.sys
> /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmc i -subdir=yes
> -domain="/backup/rman/full/$DATA/*" >> /backup/tsmlogs/$ARCHLOG
>

> ....my question is, is it going to work? I mean, can I actually alter the
> dsm.sys file and then run the dsmc command immediately after doing
> it?....usually, dsm always checks filespaces before sendin data to the
TSM