ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Cost of moving to collocation by filespace

2010-11-12 12:28:25
Subject: [ADSM-L] Cost of moving to collocation by filespace
From: "Evans, Bill" <bevans AT FHCRC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 09:26:00 -0800
Does anyone have an real world example of moving from a single storage
pool to collation by filespace?

TSM 5.5, AIX 5.3

I'm backing up a 200TB server (solaris) with 1TB of new/changed files
per day.  There are about 30 volumes (filespaces) and I am thinking of
changing to collation to improve restore times.

Some things I can figure out, like it will require 30+ minimum scratch
tapes per night (typically we run with 5).  And each collation group
will have its own 'filling' tape.  Other than the extra library slots,
are there any other things I haven't thought of that will increase my
h/w costs or administration time?

Thanks,

Bill Evans

Storage and Server Administration