ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Cost of moving to collocation by filespace

2010-11-12 14:33:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Cost of moving to collocation by filespace
From: Maurice van 't Loo <maurice AT BACKITUP DOT NU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:33:08 +0100
Hi Bill,

Migration and backup stgpools shall take some extra time as there are more
volumes te mount/dismount.
If you have to migrate "small" amounts during backupperiod because you don't
have enough diskpool, the backup period could be much much longer.

If you define the collocation groups, don't put all the important servers
together in a group, but mix them with less important servers. So if you
have to restore multiple servers, they don't have still all the data
together on the same tapes.

After the define of the groups you can move the nodedata of a group to get
all the data of a group together. move nodedata colloc=....

Databases etc can normaly be grouped all together in 1 group, as they have
their full backups often. So they don't need to be in separate groups. I
usually put DB data in a separate stgpool without collocation, as they don't
need space reclaim when the retention period is the same for all DB clients.

Regards,
Maurice van 't Loo
TSM Freelancer