ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] [adsm] TSM and XIV

2010-09-30 17:32:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] [adsm] TSM and XIV
From: Orville Lantto <olantto AT EMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 16:58:21 -0400
Could be that you are hitting the SATA IOPS limit.  Cache does not help much
for long streaming IOs like TSM storage pools.  Since SATA has only the
capacity for about 60 IOPS per drive, and the XIV has 180 drives.  This is only
a maximum 10800 IOPS,  At 4 KB block size this is 42 MB/sec, in the
neighborhood of what you are seeing.  If you can get your block size up, the
XIV will do much better.  I have tuned my system for TSM's 256 kB block size
and I have seen very satisfactory speeds in my disk pools.  Just today I was
watching and the XIV storage pools were going at about 180 MB/sec, about 680
IOPS, and  with 5 ms latency.  This on a near full XIV with only 10% dedicated
to TSM.

Orville Lantto