ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] [adsm] TSM and XIV

2010-09-30 16:11:29
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] [adsm] TSM and XIV
From: Grigori Solonovitch <Grigori.Solonovitch AT AHLIUNITED DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:09:54 +0300
I am using TSM 5.5.4.1.

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of Remco
Post [remco.post AT GMAIL DOT COM]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:31 PM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Grigori Solonovitch <
Grigori.Solonovitch AT ahliunited DOT com> wrote:

> I do not have XIV, but I am using DS8100 with FATA disks 1TB 7200 RPM.
> I am using AIX multipath access (4 paths) via 2-ports adapter and SAN
> switches(4Gb/s each port). I have defined primary and copy storage polls for
> device class FILE (JFS2 file systems under AIX).  Formatting volume speed is
> 210MB/s for single volume. It can reach 400MB/s and more for a few
> processes.
> As far as I know, SATA disks 1TB or 2TB 7200 RPM are used in XIV.
> So you should have at least the same speed as for DS8100 (XIV is much
> newer!).
> I think you need to check for problems with:
> 1) host connections;
> 2) or for fragmentation in raw logical volumes for device class DISK (for
> example, all volumes were formatted in parallel, not one by one).

as for 2), because of the XIV block allocation algorithm, this is
unlikely...

1) would be a good hint, that's what we started looking at when we first
detected that TSM was not performing as good as we thought it should. All
links are performing optimally.

I agree that an XIV should be at least comparable to a DS8100, but for now,
we're nowhere even close to the figures you mention. Do note that the DS8000
uses the SDD driver (I assume) and XIV is limited to AIX MPIO.

I am curious as to which verion of TSM you are running, including the exact
patch level.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post, PLCS

Please consider the environment before printing this Email.

CONFIDENTIALITY AND WAIVER: The information contained in this electronic mail
message and any attachments hereto may be legally privileged and confidential.
The information is intended only for the recipient(s) named in this message. If
you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any use, disclosure,
copying or distribution is prohibited. If you have received this in error
please contact the sender and delete this message and any attachments from your
computer system. We do not guarantee that this message or any attachment to it
is secure or free from errors, computer viruses or other conditions that may
damage or interfere with data, hardware or software.