ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers

2010-06-23 14:12:05
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:11:17 -0400
The NAS vendor is recommending that the NAS box both dedup and compress the
files on it.  This sounds good for space, but I'm thinking that this will
cause NDMP backup to take even longer.  I'm think if I do a NDMP full of
+20tb of data and that data is all compressed, it's the same as
uncompressing all that data to send it to TSM. ALso, the dedup would need
to be un-deduped before sending it.

Any thoughts on this?

Rick

             "Sheppard, Sam"
             <SSheppard@SDDPC.
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: NAS vs traditional fileservers

             06/23/2010 01:04
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

We're in the middle of doing something similar. We have 17TB of windows
file/print data being backed up by 5 servers, total of 33M files. Several
of the volumes are almost 2TB with several million files and all of the
problems associated with that. So the windows guy is moving all of this to
CIFS and we'll (hopefully) end up with several smaller volumes.

We did some testing using TSM 6.1.3.4 and NDMP full/diff to TS1120 tape.
Backup times for 2 of the 3 test volumes was not that great, around
18MB/sec. The third volume backed up in half the time. According to the
Netapp guy, some kind of contention/hotspot on the filer. This is backing
up filer-server, not filer-tape. And filer-server allows you to do all of
the traditional housekeeping tasks on the storage pools. Looked like it
would be doable, until we added up all of the problems:

1. As mentioned elsewhere, the differentials, though just a fraction of the
fulls estimate their size as the same as the fulls, so disk pools for the
differentials were out, meaning all of the dozens of differentials every
night would need a tape drive.  A big scheduling headache, but not a
show-stopper.

2. We tested TOC to get individual file restore capability. Performance was
terrible; over an hour to restore one 50MB file. Only good news here is
that increasing the size and number of files restored did not have an
equivalent increase in restore time and the proposal was to keep enough
snapshots to restore back two weeks. So the individual restore would be a
last resort.

3. It appeared the tape compression on NDMP data was not nearly as good as
on normal backups, leading to an increase in the number of tapes needed.

4. You will need a filer at your DR site to perform restores there.

There was not enough upside to counteract the downsides for us, so we are
going to use the SNAPDIFF feature for this application and use NDMP for a
couple of big applications that were using image backups. NDMP ended up
being over twice as fast for these.

Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.
(858)-581-9668