ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers

2010-06-23 12:03:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] NAS vs traditional fileservers
From: Cameron Hanover <chanover AT UMICH DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 12:02:08 -0400
We've been backing up one NAS system with NDMP filer-to-server for about 2
years now, it's currently at around 16TB.
In our particular setup, we rely on backups fitting on disk before going to
tape.  As such, we've had to size the disk pool for that client to match the
NAS size.  We hit a problem recently when they grew one filesystem to 10TB.
IBM developers found an 8.7TB size limit in disk pools, so backups were going
directly to tape and being preempted by the morning migrations.  We got around
this by backing up to virtual volumes on another instance with a large disk
pool.
Of course NDMP backups are full/differentials, so the retention policies you're
used to are pretty much out the window.
If it's a NetApp device, you can back it up with a regular TSM client using the
snapdiff option.  Even given the limitations of CIFS (sloooow), in my limited
testing I've found the savings from not having to do full/differentials to be a
big win.  There's also a savings in tape occupancy, since files that haven't
changed aren't backed up again.  Clients charge on occupancy, like ours, like
this.
I'm not sure what you mean about getting data offsite, but we're able to do our
normal copy pools with NDMP backups.

-
Cameron Hanover
chanover AT umich DOT edu

When any government, or church for that matter, undertakes to say to its
subjects, this you may not read, this you must not see, this you are forbidden
to know, the end result is tyranny and oppression, no matter how holy the
motive.
--Robert A. Heinlein