ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Multiport HBA's for tape connectivity

2010-06-15 04:04:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] Multiport HBA's for tape connectivity
From: Steven Langdale <Steven.Langdale AT CAT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:02:45 +0100
Hello all

I'd like the opinions of the group on the use multiport HBA's for
connecting to a tape library (infact a ProtecTIER VTL)

What experience does anyone have using dual port 8Gb PCIe cards in a
pSeries - the card model is 5735 and is a dual port one.

I'd originally asked for 2 x single port HBA's but this is all that's free
in the particular frame.

Should I be concerned about the throughput as all my data is going through
the single card?  I've not been able to find out much about the actual
sustained throughput of this card.

I'll be connecting it into 4Gb switch ports btw

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

Steven

Steven Langdale
Global Information Services
EAME Storage Planning and Implementation
Enterprise Architecture - Backup & Recovery Architect
( Phone : +44 (0)1733 584175
( Mob: +44 (0)7876 216782
ü Conference: +44 (0)208 609 7400 Code: 331817
+ Email: steven.langdale AT cat DOT com