ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Multiport HBA's for tape connectivity

2010-06-15 13:36:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Multiport HBA's for tape connectivity
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 19:35:00 +0200
I'm always very careful with any kind of HBA and any kind of PCI (-x -e).

In the end it all depends, how fast is the protectier? Are you expecting to use
all of that bandwidth? Or, are you quite happy with whatever your PCIe-slot
will deliver, because you'll be able to do whatever you want to do with that
bandwidth that you got well within the timeframe that you have? Or is the
SAN-switch more of a bottleneck?

PCIe slots have dedicated bandwidth per slot, but some chipsets have less
bandwidth tot the system than total bandwidth on the slots, this is rare though.

The only downside: if your HBA goes, you loose all of the connectivity... there
is no redundancy... Do you care? Well, if you have a spare HBA at hand... you
might not. If you loose 8 hours or more of work to get a new one in....

There is only one way to know for sure: look up all the specs and do the math.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten/Kind Regards,

Remco Post
r.post AT plcs DOT nl