ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM handling of already compressed files

2010-05-13 18:20:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM handling of already compressed files
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 18:18:39 -0400
The parameter COMPRESS is not defined on any clients and neither
is COMPRESSALways.  Also no Client option sets defined with it.

I do not use TSM client compression anywhere.

The compressed files are ones on the client that have already been
compressed by various means in applications (to save disk space on the client)
and TSM is just backing them up.

Even after they get to TSM server, it still has the problem migrating
and copying them.  Been like that for some time I believe, just the problem
got big enough (larger files, more of them and more clients using) for me to
find it.

DL

On May 13, 2010, at 3:39 PM, David Longo wrote:

> So, why does TSM take twice as long?

David - What is your COMPRESSAlways setting, as an affecter?  A value of No can
result in about double overhead, depending.
You may want to run some tests with TSM client tracing turned on to perceive
what's happening.

   Richard Sims

#####################################
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may
contain private, proprietary, or legally privileged information.
No privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you
receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and
all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it,
and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly, use,
disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you
are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to
monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views
or opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the
individual sender, except (1) where the message states such views
or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;  and (2) the sender
is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.