ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] SV: [ADSM-L] TSM handling of already compressed files

2010-05-14 02:59:46
Subject: [ADSM-L] SV: [ADSM-L] TSM handling of already compressed files
From: Anders Räntilä <Anders AT RANTILA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:58:23 +0200
I'm not sure I got your question right, but...

>  I found out with some experimentation that
>TSM would take twice as long to backup a 60 GB compressed file as
>a 60 GB uncompressed file.

- A LTO2 tape drive can write data at 40Mbyte/s.

- A LTO2 tape drive can do hardware compression. Assume it does 2to1.

If you send a 400Mbyte uncompressible file (already compressed) it will write
the data in 10 seconds.
40MB/s on the fibre/scsi , 40MB/s to the tape and 400Mbyte goes to tape.

If you send a 400Mbyte 2to1-compressible file it will write it in 5 seconds.
80MB/s on the fibre/scsi , 40MB/s to the tape and 200Mbyte goes to tape.

It is normal that a compressed file of the SAME SIZE as an uncompressed file
takes twice as long to backup.

/Anders Räntilä

RÄNKAB - Räntilä Konsult AB
Klippingvägen 23