ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Using tapeutil to examine cleaning tapes

2010-03-18 12:06:52
Subject: [ADSM-L] Using tapeutil to examine cleaning tapes
From: "John D. Schneider" <john.schneider AT COMPUTERCOACHINGCOMMUNITY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:05:55 -0700
 Greetings,
    This is a followup to Wanda's question about cleaning tapes on an
IBM3584 library.  I wondered if there was any way to do it using
tapeutil.  When I call tapeutil with:

tapeutil -f /dev/smc1 inventory
or
tapeutil -f /dev/smc1 cartridgelocation

either one will give me a report of all the slots in the library and
what is in them.  But wait a minute, it is not a report of ALL the
slots.  When I tried to use it to find out what slots had cleaning
tapes, I found out that neither of these reports will show the cleaning
tapes!  They show empty slots, and ones with tapes in them, but they
don't show slots that have cleaners.  I suppose this is by design, but I
can't imagine why.

Does anyone know of a way to detect the cleaning tapes with tapeutil (or
similar utility like ITDT), so we can determine how many cleanings are
left?

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
The Computer Coaching Community, LLC
Office: (314) 635-5424 / Toll Free: (866) 796-9226
Cell: (314) 750-8721