ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli "disk only" backup with data duplicated at two locations?

2009-07-29 11:33:32
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Tivoli "disk only" backup with data duplicated at two locations?
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:32:01 +1000
Adrian

Network cost is not the only issue.  Latency can kill you.  However if
that is not a problem disk is a viable second site option.  Dont forget
that copypools are sequential, so even on disk you will have wasted
space, reclamation and perhaps mountpoint issues.

One possibility for quick recovery would be to mirror the TSM config
files,. db and log to the second site using either disk array facilities
or OS level volume mirroring.  Don't forget to plan for extended
operation at the second site -  it may take some time to get your prime
site back up and running.  Also plan for transition back to prime site
once normal operations resume.  Too many sites do a quick restore of the
TSM server in a DR test and a couple of apps and get self-satisfied.  In
a real emergency they'd be trying to back up the high priority app that
they restored yesterday and is now in use while still trying to restore
the lower priority app that the users are screaming for today.

Hope this helps

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, "Resting" in Sydney, Australia