ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Tivoli "disk only" backup with data duplicated at two locations?

2009-07-29 11:03:38
Subject: [ADSM-L] Tivoli "disk only" backup with data duplicated at two locations?
From: "Davis, Adrian" <Adrian.Davis AT LEWISHAM.GOV DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:02:19 +0100
We are looking at a number of possibilities for a new backup system?

Until now we have a used a "traditional" tape based backup strategy -
but with falling disk and network bandwidth prices - we are looking at
the possibility of using a disk only backup solution.

One option is to use Tivoli.

We need to be able to have two copies of all data each copy at a
different physical location.

One idea that comes to mind is to backup to a disk storage pool, then
"BACKUP STGPOOL" this storage pool to another (copy) disk storage pool -
The second disk pool being a volume on a separate disk array at a remote
location.

We would also "BACKUP DB" the TSM database to the remote location.

In the event of the loss of the primary site - I'm thinking we could
"build" a TSM server, using the database backup up to the remote site,
mount the "remote" copy disk storage pool volume on the new server and
(as at that time the primary storage pool is "unavailable") access the
data on the disk copy storage pool directly in order to perform our DR
restores.

This seems like a (relatively) simple solution. However, as I have not
seen this documented in any of the manuals, I'm guessing that there is a
problem with this approach?

Does anybody have any comments -or- better ideas for a Tivoli disk only
backup with data duplicated at two sites?

Many Thanks,

   =Adrian=

DISCLAIMER

This message is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity it is addressed to. If you have received it in
error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail. Please note
that we may monitor and check emails to safeguard the Council network
from viruses, hoax messages or other abuse of the Council’s systems.
To see the full version of this disclaimer please visit the following
address: http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/AboutThisSite/EmailDisclaimer.htm

For advice and assistance about online security and protection from
internet threats visit the "Get Safe Online" website at
http://www.getsafeonline.org