ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Limiting backup data amount

2009-07-23 10:23:59
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Limiting backup data amount
From: Björn Rackoll <backup AT RRZ.UNI-HAMBURG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:22:40 +0200
Hi Remco,

estimate: it'll be hard to backup more than 500 GB of data of a 500 GB
disk.....

well, recently this client ran a backup of about 3 TB, causing the
server to run low on tapes.

On macos, if you are really worried, you could run a "find -ctime"
(lookup the manpage) to find the changed files and then calculate...

Thanks. The 5.4 user's guide for Mac OS mentions an 'estimate' function
in the index but nothing in the rest of the document, so I thought that
there may be a built-in functionality...

BTW, IMNSHO, your TSM environment might be to much backup-centric and to
little recovery-centric if you need a policy for clients to notify you
if they accidentally backup a bit more than average once in a while.

We have some database performance problems when there are long backups
running and then migration and/or expiration kicks in. After the
notification I can empty the diskpool so that there won't be a migration
at a time when database volumes as well as diskpool volumes are very busy.

(The infrastructure will be upgraded later this year...)

Regards,

--
Bjoern Rackoll
University of Hamburg