ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VTL setups

2009-07-16 10:20:41
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VTL setups
From: "Tchuise, Bertaut" <BTchuise AT LMUS.LEGGMASON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:19:39 -0400
Gill,

We have an IBM TS7520 with 10 virtual tapes libraries and 10 drives at
the primary site; we also have an IBM TS7510 with 8 virtual tape
libraries and 10 drives at the secondary site. We don't have any
contention whatsoever with the VTL drives during the backups and TSM
administrative processes; the data is first written to disks then
migrated to the VTLs and finally migrated physical tapes (our physical
library has 18 drives).

Given the fact that the disk storage pool is going away in your
architecture, you may or may not need more than the 10 drives proposed
by the vendor - it depends in the workload and backups, admin processes
scheduling you will place on the VTL. Wanda's suggestion about the
gradual phase in will provide you definite VTL answers specific to your
environment rather than relying on guesses from vendors.

BERTAUT TCHUISE
Storage Support Administrator
Legg Mason Technology Services
*410-580-7032