ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] VTL setups

2009-07-15 22:32:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] VTL setups
From: Wanda Prather <wanda.prather AT JASI DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 22:31:52 -0400
Well, in theory you would need as many tape drives defined as you have
concurrent backups running at any one time (plus any drives needed for
background processes, but you want to avoid background processes that use
the VTL during the busiest part of your backup window if you can).

However, whether that is going to work, depends on the throughput your VTL
can sustain.  If you calculate you need 500MB/sec of backups to meet your
window, and your VTL only supports 300MB/sec, then the answer is to start
rescheduling your backups.

Something I suggest you try, is phasing in your VTL backups gradually.
Start with the heavy hitter backups, stuff that you know will push data
pretty fast - like TDP's for Oracle & SQL, so you get an idea of what
throughput you will get compared to your disk pool.  If it's comparable,
keep adding VTL drives and backups on those drives, see if it maintains the
same throughput you were getting with the disk pool, or starts bogging down
as the load increases.  (It shouldn't)

One thing I have recommended to some customers, is keeping a SMALL diskpool
around, to be the target of any problematic or WAN clients that are known to
run really really slowly, so you don't have them each tying up a virtual
drive.  That small diskpool can then migrate out to the VTL, taking only 1-2
virtual drives.

Wanda

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Gill, Geoffrey L. <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT saic DOT
com