ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database information

2009-04-07 15:10:17
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM database information
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT COX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:08:42 -0500
How long ago and how active is the old system???
As others have suggested, try bringing up a TSM image from a DB backup prior
to you deleting the filespace... but first, halt all reclamation on the 5.2
system... (to keep tapes as in tact as possible)
Once you get the image up on the other system... you could define the
library and one or two tape drives over to that system.  (make sure no
reclamation can run there either)
Then just try the restore... if the data exists, it will restore it, if it
doesn't, you'll get an error trying to access the data on the tape (since if
it were written over, it won't be the expected data).

TSM, when a tape rolls scratch, is put in a first in / first out queue for
reuse so if you haven't gone through as many scratch tapes as you had on the
day you deleted the filespaces, you should still stand a good chance at
getting to the data.

I've successfully done this for a node that had been deleted for 2-3
weeks... The node had been decommissioned, we left the data for the standard
95 days and then purged the node... 2 weeks later, naturally, someone had a
critical need for some of the data.  (sigh!)

Dwight