ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup of ownership and ACLs

2009-02-17 09:10:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup of ownership and ACLs
From: Alexander Födisch <foedisch AT EVA.MPG DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 15:08:29 +0100
Hi,

I will try the option "SKIPACLUPDATCHECK".

Thank you guys,
Alex

Rolf Meyer schrieb:
Hello

I think, there's an option called SKIPACLUPDATCHECK, which can be used
to prevent incr backups just because of changing ACL-infos.

Give it a try.

Rolf Meyer
Storage Consultant
PROFI Engineering Systems AG

 Alexander Födisch schrieb:
Hi all,

if we change the ownership (chmod/chgrp) or the ACLs of files/folders on
our GPFS-filesystem, all affected
data will be backed up again from TSM because the ctime was changed -
same behaviour on a XFS filesystem.
We often have to change recursively the ACLs of a 15TB-folder and so
this 15TB are backup up nearly daily...
I understand the necessity of backing up metadata as ownership or ACLs
:) But is there an other possibility?

Can we backup just the metadata of changed files instead of all the
data? Depends this on the filesystem?

Thanks,
Alex

--